28 11 2019
A Kiwi Christmas spread isn’t complete without a leg of ham! Whether you’re cooking Christmas breakfast, lunch or dinner, step up your ham game this year with our succulent, sticky baked ham recipe. Just make sure you cook enough for seconds - the glaze is delightfully moreish!
Tip: Save time on the big day and prep your ham the day before! For those of you who are super organised, the glaze can be made and kept in the fridge for up to a week. Just glaze and bake on the day!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes for glaze. Ham cook time dependent on weight
- ½ cup Pams Finest Apricot Preserve
- 275ml bottle Pams Finest Premium Ginger Beer
- 2 Tbsp Pams Wholegrain Mustard
- ¾ cup Pams Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- Half or whole ham leg
- Enough cloves to cover ham
- Mix all glaze ingredients into a small saucepan and stir over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until reduced by half (just over a cup). Pour into a clean jar and cool before using.
- Using a sharp knife and your fingers, carefully lift and remove the skin, leaving all the fat behind. You’ll want to leave the fat on to keep your ham moist and flavoursome!
- Use a sharp knife to score through the fat in a diamond pattern. Push a single clove into each diamond.
- Remove your ham from the fridge one hour before baking and place into a large roasting dish with 1 cup of water. Brush the ham with your prepared glaze, making sure you leave some for basting.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 150°C, allowing 15 minutes cooking time for every 500 grams of ham. Brush more glaze over your ham every 30 minutes, making sure you keep an eye on the colour. Lower the temperature if the glaze starts to darken too quickly.
Makes 1 ham.