29 3 2019
Impress your friends and family with baking your own hot cross buns this Easter! This recipe is extra decadent with the addition of Pams Finest Dark Chocolate Chunks. Eat them warm from the oven, otherwise leftovers can be halved and toasted. Delicious!
Ready in: approx. 3 hours (including rising time)
- 1 1/2 cups Value Milk
- 2 teaspoons Pams Active Yeast
- 2 teaspoons Pams Caster Sugar
- 4 ½ cups Pams High Grade Flour
- ½ cup Pams Cocoa Powder
- 1/3 cup Pams Caster Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pams Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 75g Pams Butter, melted
- 1 size 7 Pams Egg, lightly whisked
- 200g Pams Finest Dark Chocolate Chunks
- 3/4 cup Pams High Grade flour (for the crosses)
- Heat the milk until lukewarm and sprinkle over the yeast and 2 teaspoons of caster sugar. Set aside for at least 5 minutes until the mixture is frothy.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk mixture, melted butter and egg.
- Mix to combine and then stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Turn the dough out to a flour dusted bench and knead for 10 minutes until the dough feels smooth and elastic.
- Wash and dry the mixing bowl and grease with a little butter. Place the dough in the bowl and cover. Place in a warm spot and leave for at least 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Turn out dough and lightly knead.
- Divide dough into 10-12 balls and place close together in the greased roasting pan.
- Cover and sit in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Grease a roasting pan with a little butter.
- Place the flour in a bowl and mix in cold water, a little at a time, until the flour forms a thick paste. Place the paste in a piping bag or plastic bag with the corner snipped and pipe crosses onto the buns. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the buns are well coloured and firm.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 10 buns.