14 11 2018
In New Zealand we throw out 122,547 tonnes of food a year. That's a lot of food - and a lot of money wasted! To make the most of the food we have, we've put together a few meal ideas and our top tips for making the most of your leftovers.
- To make a Roast Vegetable Pizza, spread some pizza sauce on a Pams base, add some Pams Finest Prosciutto and a mix of any roast veges. Top with cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes
- Frittatas are a fabulous way to use up leftovers - whisk together some eggs and cream or milk, stir your leftovers through and top with cheese!
- Creamy chicken pasta is easy to make with leftover chicken and veges. Simmer your chicken and vege with mustard and cream, add cooked pasta and voila!
- Leftover rice is great for fried rice or rice pudding
- Simmer the remains of a roast chicken with onion, carrot and celery to make a nourishing chicken stock that can be used fresh or frozen
- Leftover vegetables are perfect for soups or stews
- Broccoli stems are perfect for adding to a green smoothie
- Parmesan rinds can be frozen and then dropped into risottos or soups
- Add a can of Pams black beans or kidney beans to leftover mince and use for nachos or enchiladas
- Weekend fried breakfasts are a great way to use up mashed potato, vegetables and the odd slice of bacon
- Make cheese sauce even tastier by using a variety of leftover cheeses
- Leftover chillies can be sliced and infused in oil to make chilli flavoured oil
- Leftover cooked grains can be added to soups or heated with milk of choice and something sweet to make a breakfast porridge
- Leftover sour cream can be used as a sandwich spread, whisked into scrambled eggs or used in baking
- Freeze cheese sauce in ice cube trays