Category: Main Meal
18 11 2020
Duck – the perfect centrepiece for your Christmas feast. Up the festivities with our cherry glazed version – we guarantee your tastebuds will be impressed. We recommend dishing up alongside some fresh Pams Watercress, it makes the perfect addition to finish this beautiful dish.
Tip: For extra depth of flavour, when making the cherry glaze, fry one finely diced shallot in 50g of Pams Butter before adding the remaining glaze ingredients (in step 3).
Tip: If you can’t get your hands on fresh cherries, substitute for frozen or tinned cherries.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
- 1 Pams Finest Whole Duck
- ½ cup Pams Malt Vinegar
- 400g Pams Cherries, pitted & quartered
- 1 cup Pams Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Pams Whole Grain Mustard
- 4 large beetroots, chopped into quarters
- Pat the duck dry with paper towels, then score the duck on the breast side, through the skin but not into the meat. Season all over with salt and pepper, then place onto a large roasting pan on top of a rack, to allow the fat to drip below the duck. Place in the oven to roast at 180°C for the first 1 ½ hours.
- Place the beetroot quarters into another baking dish, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, then place into the oven with the duck for 45 minutes.
- To make the cherry glaze, add the vinegar, cherries, brown sugar, and wholegrain mustard to a pot. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- After the duck has been in for the first 1 ½ hours, remove from the oven and baste with ¾ of the cherry glaze, ensuring to cover the entire duck. Place back into the oven for a further 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the duck and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve on a platter alongside the roasted beetroot and drizzled with the remaining cherry glaze.
Makes 12 servings as part of the Pams Ultimate Feast Christmas menuYouTube