17 9 2020
Ooey, gooey, cheesey, melty deliciousness. This is your classic cheese toastie turned up a notch. Devour your Ultimate Cheese Toastie as is – or use it as a base for your other toastie favourites, we recommend Pams Sliced Gherkins or Pams Shaved Ham.
Tip: For maximum flavour, add 1 tablespoon of Pams Mild American Mustard to your bechamel sauce.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 90g Pams Butter
- 3 Tbsp Pams Plain Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices Pams Colby Cheese Slices
- 1 cup Pams Grated Mozzarella
- 8 slices of your favourite bread
- Make a roux for your bechamel sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then stirring in the flour. Continue to stir over the heat for around 5 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, whisking continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep stirring until the sauce is glossy and has no lumps. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Spread a generous layer of the bechamel onto a piece of the bread, then add a quarter of your grated mozzarella and two of the cheese slices. Sandwich with a second slice of bread, then repeat for the other 3 toasties.
- Spread the outsides with butter, then toast in a sandwich press or grill until the cheese is oozing out the sides and the bread is crispy and golden. Cut in half and serve immediately for maximum gooey-ness.
Makes 4 toasties.