Do you feel like you’re constantly throwing out feijoa skins? Try our Feijoa Fizz – not only is it tasty and refreshing, it also uses parts of the feijoa usually discarded! While you wait for the skins to ferment into a delicious drink, get the kids involved by teaching them about fermentation!
Tips & Tricks
- Serve in a tall glass with ice and with a splash of vodka or gin for a feijoa cocktail.
- It’s important that the fruit isn’t exposed to the air while it’s fermenting – this could lead to a mouldy batch that needs discarding.
- Loosely fill a large, sterilised container with the feijoa skins. Add half of the sugar, then cover with the water.
- Place a weight on top of the feijoa skins to press the fruit down, ensuring they’re completely covered by water. Cover your container with a tea towel and secure with a rubber band. Leave on your kitchen bench for two to three days.
- Strain the liquid into a sterilised bottle or jar, then stir in the remaining sugar. Seal tightly with a lid and leave in the fridge for one day.
- 8-10 feijoa skins, washed
- 4 Tbsp Pams White Sugar
- 1 litre water