6 9 2018
This is a great set-it-and-forget-it recipe for chicken stock, but if you don’t have a slow cooker, don’t despair! You can make your stock in a large pot with a lid, you just have to be a little more vigilant. Make sure the broth doesn’t boil too vigorously and try and resist the urge to lift the lid and stir it all the time. The stock will keep in the fridge for about 5 days, or you can label it and freeze it in batches for about 3 months.
- 1 Pams Fresh Whole Chicken 1.5kg carcass
- 1 Pams carrot, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Pams onion, halved
- 2 Pams celery sticks, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon Pams peppercorns
- 2 Pams fresh peeled garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Pams cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 8-10 cups water (enough to cover the chicken)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the chicken carcass and vegetables on a baking tray and roast in oven for about half an hour. Transfer to your slow cooker (or pot) and add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low heat for about 8 hours or longer if you want to cook it overnight.
- Strain liquid through a fine sieve and discard the solids.
- Cool the stock slightly then cover and put in the fridge. When cold, scrape the fat off the top and store in the fridge or freezer.